Saturday, September 7, 2013

Fig City Blues



Recently I have been keeping quiet about walking but it doesn't mean I haven't been doing any. Gay and I have walked down to Quillan a few times - it's always interesting to try to find the trail down, because they keep changing it. One of the routes brings us below Ginoles, a very picturesque village which I have previously photographed from above but which I show here from a different perspective.

Ginoles is known to us as Fig City because it has so many fig trees. Just as an indication of how late the crops are in this area, there is one tree in particular that I remember scrumping luscious figs from with our New Zealand friends Lyn and Selwyn in mid-July last year. It is now well into September and the figs on that tree are not yet fully grown and are still hard and unripe. If the autumn is cold, those figs (and all others that we know of) will not ripen this year.

I read in the local newspaper recently that the wine harvest will be one month later than normal.

Off to Peru tomorrow, followed by a week in Boston Massachusetts. I will not have a computer with me, only a Galaxy tablet. I have not tried blogging from that yet and am just about to find out whether I will be able to do so.

No comments: