Thursday, July 21, 2011

New Eye Treatment



Some potentially exciting news for me. I have mentioned that I have an incurable eye problem called pattern dystrophy, which means that I am in the process of completely losing my central vision. It is already making life difficult for me, and did so during the big walk.

Well, maybe it is not so incurable. My daughter Nicola texted me from Italy that a friend of hers had been in touch. The friend's father is a surgeon and he has come up with some news about a treatment which is being trialled in Pisa. This possibly involves the use of stem cells. I know that miraculous results have been achieved by injecting stem cells into the eyes of mice but this is the first I have heard of the procedure being used with humans.

I am awaiting more information about how successful the Pisa procedures are, and when and whether they will become more widely available. And I know that the use of stem cells is highly controversial.

Watch (no pun intended) this space.

---------------------------

On a different subject, the book is imminent. Again, watch this space.

1 comment:

talesfromagarden said...

That would be great news for you our eyes are so precious to us!Hopefully it will materialise for you,best wishes with the book too will be watching out for it!