Saturday, June 12, 2010

Jean's Big Question

Jean Dolan e-mailed me:

I've just read todays news but you dont tell us how you are feeling. Are you tired, do your feet hurt, what do you think about? Such long hours all on your own, its a good job you've got Gay. Good man Vic. Step you gaily. xxxxx


Quite right, Jean, I have not reported lately on how I am feeling.

I have been walking for 29 days. I feel fairly tired towards the end of each walk, and don’t feel like doing much for the rest of the day. It’s just the legs that feel as if they have done something – apart from that I am not particularly tired or sleepy. I could probably do with a masseur for my legs. I am sleeping no more than usual and by the next morning do not feel any residual tiredness

I gave myself a problem with my feet in the first week, which has left my big toe and the one next to it on the left foot both with nails now hanging off. I also have arthritis in the big toe joint on the left foot – I have had it for a while, but only intermittently – now I have it all the time – I don’t know if that will subside after VBW. My right foot is fine – maybe I should just hop?

Apart from that, everything seems to be in working order, no problems of any kind.

Mentally I am not having a problem. I haven’t even thought much about how on earth I got involved in such a huge physical commitment. I haven’t even gloated much over the fact that this is something which nobody else, in the history of man, has ever done, walking from Puivert to Blackpool, never mind at the age of 70. But I have noticed that it is a long way, and that I am not halfway there yet.

What do I think about? Maybe I should be thinking deep thoughts, but I am not. I expected to spend much of the time ruminating on my life and how I got to where I am now. Maybe that will happen more when I get to England and visit places which remind me of various phases of my life.

I spend a lot of time just enjoying the pleasure of the quiet highways and byways, the silence, apart from bird and animal sounds, the lack of traffic almost every day.

I also spend quite a lot of time wondering whether there will be a coffee place in the next town, if it will be open, and whether I can have a few minutes rest, which is amazingly rejuvenating.

I am dictating extensively as I walk, getting on for 2,000 words a day, which may possibly form the basis of a book. Of course that also has to be transcribed every evening.

I listen a bit to my iPod, which has about 700 albums on it, but I have mainly listened to language courses and am enjoying listening to the speeches of Martin Luther King.

So I am indeed stepping me gaily, and hope to continue to do so for another 41 days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vic, you really are an incredible inspiration. I think it says a lot when someone strips their life down to the bare essentials and spends so much time with themselves. I imagine it's a very interesting process, rumination or not.
You are hugely inspiring and to put it bluntly, you're a hero.
Regardless of why you're doing it, for whatever cause, the task itself is monumental and your dedication is incredible. Proof that it's never too late, we're never too old and we can all accomplish something meaningful in our lifetime.
Best wishes to Gay as well, as she is also an incredible force in all this and it speaks of her character and passion to be so involved.
May you both be well, may you both have ease of mind, and may you both continue to have strength of spirit.