Sunday, April 4, 2010

Not Swimming



I have lost count of the times I have been asked by people (with a triumphant air of "I've caught you out on this one!) what I am going to do when I reach the channel, if I am supposed to be walking from the South of France to the North of England.

Well, what do you think I am going to do? And no, I am not going to walk round and round the ship all night. Be reasonable.

Gay and I have just had an intensive afternoon with the maps, and there is now another bit of swimming I am going to avoid. I have published my proposed route several times on this blog, most recently on March 5th. In the section "From Oxford", where I am walking mainly on canal towpaths, I emerge from the Rufford Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool canal at Tarleton and then take the Douglas to Preston. Closer examination reveals that the Douglas is a navigable river, not a canal, and therefore will probably not have a towpath for me to walk on.

This, plus all the wandering around from East to West and back again and again which the canals do after Middlewich, means that part of the route (from Middlewich to Blackpool) is being rethought.

No comments: