Sunday, February 28, 2010

Is Omega 3 A Bad Thing?



75 days to go until the start of VBW. We walked 106 kms in the week finishing yesterday. Quite a good total for 7 days which included 2 travelling.

We have all been bombarded with advice over the past few years to eat foods containing Omega 3 because it has so many health benefits. When my eye problem was diagnosed last year I was advised that the only thing which might possibly slow down the rate of attrition is Omega 3. So I have been absolutely ramming the stuff into me.

But what do I read now? Omega 3 is one of the causes of gout (which is something no walker would want). Not only that, but another cause of gout is fresh fruit! Where do we go from here?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Vic.
Take it with a pinch of salt.
Septimus.

talesfromagarden said...

Sorry to say but the "experts" seem to get things wrong too! My husband eats apples and bananas like they are going out of fashion, he will be 60 next September and walks for 2and a half hours at a time and is disgustingly healthy!Continue with your Omega 3 I say, everything in moderation!

Vic Heaney said...

I know that there is always conflicting advice about foods. One minute something is bad, then good, then bad again.

No, whatever happens I am going to continue with the Omega 3, if there is a chance it may help me to read for a while longer than otherwise.

Just wanted to blow off steam a bit!