Sunday, February 21, 2010

Going Blind



So the body is doing fine, on the whole. But what, I am asked, about the recent news that I am going blind (yes, I have come to terms with it and have started using that phrase, because that is what is happening to my eyes)? Yes, I may have to have a white stick, to wear protective goggles and to learn Braille.

I will completely lose my central vision and will be unable to read. There are further eye hospital appointments when we get back to France, to measure the rate of attrition. I know the rate is significant because there are things I could do only a few months ago, which I am not able to do now. For instance, I recently snapped the high E string (the thinnest) on my travelling guitar. Try as I might, I could not thread the string through the hole in the tuning peg. And yet only in November or December, I snapped the same string on a guitar at home and managed to replace it myself. This time I had to take the guitar to a music shop and get them to replace the strings. Bad news because of what it signifies about my eyes.

How is it affecting my walking? I have already mentioned that I can not see the walking tracks on any of the maps (total cost 700-800 Euros) which I have bought for the trip. Also, I am having a lot of trouble passing over rough ground or up and down steps, because my foot-eye coordination has gone to pot. In addition to that, I have to wear dark glasses to protect my eye condition from the sun. When passing in and out of light and shade, especially in wooded areas, I am having a great deal of difficulty.

As to whether the deterioration will be rapid enough to have even more effect on the walking and on VBW itself, only time will tell.

1 comment:

talesfromagarden said...

This is sad news Victor when you put it so honestly. Hopefully you will complete your walk even with help maybe over the rough ground!I have always said being without sight must be the hardest thing.Stay strong and focused on your dream.