Thursday, September 10, 2009

Walk Now, Book Later



I have mentioned more than once that I intend to write a book about Vic's Big Walk. It is one thing to write a book and another to get it published. In the current economic climate that is even more difficult than usual. Apparently even books which have been commissioned and contracted are not making it through to printing stage.

Clearly I can not write the whole of my book until after the walk, but it would be good to know if I am on the correct lines with what I have written so far. I sent an outline of my book, and the first few chapters, to a literary consultancy. They have made some very encouraging noises - "a fantastic - inspiring - project" - "you can write well and I enjoyed reading most of what you have supplied so far" - "it is a book with a lot of potential".

There are other, more critical, but helpful things said, all designed to assist me in producing a better book.

But the main recommendation, and one which I half expected, is that it would be very difficult to get a publisher to commit to this type of book before it is finished. Most of the material will emerge during the walk itself.

So the book is on the back burner for now. I will continue to work on it and of course during the 70 days of the walk I shall be adding to it every day, ready to get it to a publisher soon after I reach the target house.

Who knows, with all the publicity the walk may provoke, publishers and agents may be queuing at my door. In the meantime, I will of course keep the list of all those who have asked to be kept informed of the book's progress. And if you want to be on that list, please e-mail me at:

vicngay@gmail.com

No comments: