Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Walking Through France


I am still in need of a safe pedestrian route from Puivert to Caen/Ouistreham.

In January this year I tried the route provided by www.mappy.com. After about 90 kms, this veered over into the middle of Toulouse, well away from my desired direction, not to mention my desire for this to be, as far as possible, a rural route.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or tips from readers of the blog. My ideal route sticks as nearly as possible to a straight line between Mirepoix in the Ariege to Caen/Ouistreham in Brittany. I am unable to use the network of Grandes Randonnees because they wander about too much and, although desirable in many ways, they would add so many kilometres to the VBW that I would be unable to complete it within the 70-day schedule I have set myself.

In the meantime, I have purchased today the above interesting-looking book. I hope it will be of help to me in finding the way north.

The pilgrim roads to Santiago de Compestela in Spain come from all over France, then cross through the Pyrenees at various points. They are still surprisingly well used.

A quick glance at the book in Mirepoix this morning was encouraging. I now need to study it in detail to see whether it can be of help for some of the way.

No comments: